Jenny prayed a simple prayer in the movie Forrest Gump: “Lord, make me a bird, so i can fly far, far away from here!’
Sometimes I want to fly away from here.Like the old gospel song, I long to fly away to ” a home on God’s celestial shore.” I don’t want to die, but I am just sick of this world.
What is it that has me so irritated? The beauty of God’s creation is all around me. Summer is my favorite season. I have enjoyed walks along the beach and views from atop mountains. I have spent time with the people that I love: my wife, kids, grand-kids, parents and grandmother. I have been inspired by God’s Word and beautiful music. Truthfully, I am quite blessed and have a wonderful life. So, what’s the problem?
First of all, social media is my problem. I am addicted to it. I can’t resist reading Facebook, Linkedin, and Twitter. When I look at these things, my blood pressure goes up. The posts that I read either entertain and inspire me, or they make me angry. I get pulled into “drama” and controversy. While social media is a great tool to testify about Jesus and to share the Good News, it is also a tool of the devil. I get lured into junk that I have no business getting into.
Second of all, the news is my problem. Everyday I read the USA Today, the AJC and Fox News on my tablet or laptop. I keep up with all of the current events: Obama and his golfing, the terrorists and their be-headings, the bombs flying over Israel and Gaza, Russia, China, the IRS, the NSA, the ACLU, the VA, the Democrats, the Republicans, the black men getting shot by white cops, gay marriages, pot smokers, kids dying in hot cars, the Braves stranding too many runners on base….UUUUGGGGHHHH!!! It’s a wonder that I have not ended up in a mental hospital! Rush may be right, but he gets on my last nerve!!
I have allowed people to get in the way of serving my God. When Peter took his eyes off of Jesus, he began to sink. I am sinking spiritually because I have taken my eyes off of Jesus and have been looking at people. There will always be someone to annoy me and there will always be someone to disagree with me. And I probably annoy others as well. My devotion for the Lord is weak and I know it.
I eat too much and exercise too little. I eat too much junk food and drink too many sodas. It’s no wonder that my body is tired all of the time. I sleep restlessly because my body is talking to me. It is saying: “Hey stupid, I am the only body that you have. When are you going to take better care of me?” I am terrified at the thought of getting sick and yet I allow myself to think about it constantly.
Is anybody else feeling like me today? Does anybody else want to fly away with Jenny?
It may not be New Year’s Day, but I am making some new resolutions in order to maintain my sanity and usefulness to God.
1. I resolve to limit my social media participation to one hour per day. If I can’t “self monitor” my usage, then what’s the point?
2. I resolve to take a month sabbatical from reading the news. If Jesus raptures me out of here in the next month, then I will have missed nothing important anyway.
3. I resolve to focus my attention back on Jesus and off of people. This will be the hardest thing in the world to do. I will have to take deep breaths before I drive, eat out , shop or worship. It’s not about me, nor is it about them. It is all about Him.
4. I resolve to take better care of my body. Back to the gym. No more crappy food or sodas. No more snorting cocaine. ( I have never snorted cocaine; just checking to see if anyone actually reads this.)
5. I resolve to no longer curse an Upton brother.
Please pray for me. Although God has called me and anointed me to be a preacher and pastor, I struggle with life just like you do. If you want me to pray for you, please respond to this blog and I promise to lift you up to God.
May the good Lord help all of us in the here and now.
“Some glad morning, when this life is o’er…”