RSS

Where is Your Heart?

20 Jan

Matthew 6:19-21: “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”

USA Today is reporting that 1% of the world’s families now own 46% of the world’s wealth. That amount is equal to 110 trillion dollars. The rest of us are struggling to get our hands on the other 54% of the money. With no real estate, no savings and no “stock portfolio”, I obviously fall into the 99 percent bracket.

The truth is, because I have put my faith in Jesus Christ, I am wealthy beyond my wildest imagination. I have been forgiven of all of my sins, I possess a life which will never end, I am a citizen of an everlasting Kingdom and I am a child of Almighty God!! Of course, none of that has translated into earthly wealth to this point. I heard one preacher say it like this: “I am as poor as Job’s turkey!” I have no idea how poor that it is, or if Job even had a turkey; but it sure sounded funny.

My heart, however, is not on earth and earthly stuff. My heart is in heaven, even though the rest of me lives down here. I am laying up my treasures in a place where thieves can’t steal them (they will not be there), moths won’t eat them (I’m not sure what they will eat in heaven), and rust can’t corrode them (I have no scientific explanation for that one).

Where is your heart? It is quite alright to accumulate “treasures” down here, as long as you understand that you will not take them with you. If you fail to “lay up” anything for heaven, you will be empty-handed when you get there. You might be in the “other half”, while the rest of us are enjoying our wealth!!

 
Leave a comment

Posted by on January 20, 2014 in Daily Verse & Prayer

 

Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: