Last night my daughter put up our Christmas tree. This greatly annoyed me for two reasons.
**Reason number one: It is November 19th, for crying out loud!! It is not even Thanksgiving yet.
**Reason number two: I am a modern day “Ebenezer Scrooge”.
When it comes to the celebration of Christmas, I say “Bah, humbug!”
Okay, don’t get me wrong. I do enjoy certain things about the “holiday season.” I love Thanksgiving; in fact it is my favorite holiday. I love driving and looking at Christmas lights, especially when the weather is a little nippy. I enjoy singing carols. I even enjoy some of the traditional non-church songs, such as “Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire”, and “Sleigh Ride”. (I especially like the horses “neighing” at the end of the song!!) My least favorite is “Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer” because my parents had the gall to give me my middle name.
Yes, I know that Jesus was not born on December 25th. Yes, I know about all of the “pagan” influences and rituals associated with Christmas. Yes, I know that some Christians claim that Santa Claus is from the devil. My reason for not liking the holiday has nothing to do with its origins though. The reason that I say “Bah, humbug!” has everything to do with Charlie Brown.
Let me explain. A recent Gallup poll revealed that 95% of Americans celebrate Christmas. 93% exchange gifts. (I would prefer to be in the other 7%). 78% even reflect on the birth of Christ, but only 62% actually attend religious services. Of those 62% who attend church, many will not show up again until Easter (which is another subject altogether).
Charlie Brown felt what I feel. He knew that something is desperately wrong. The problem with the Christmas play was that it had nothing to do with Jesus. Thankfully, Linus stood up and told Charlie Brown about Jesus. We need more “Linuses” today. I don’t like “Christmas” because Christ-mass really has very little to do with the Christ.
Why do I celebrate on December 25th? The same reason that I celebrate EVERY day. I celebrate because Jesus was born of a virgin, lived a perfect, sinless life, died for my sins, rose from the dead, ascended into heaven, and is coming back to rule and reign forever! Jesus is not the “reason for the season”. Jesus is the reason for all of the seasons! He is Lord!
Red-nosed reindeer, you say? Bah, humbug!!